Neena at Clingstone

Neena at Clingstone

Friday, December 6, 2013

Well, here we are almost three weeks into dealing with the new boat, now named "Neena". She's covered and ready for winter but I'm still clambering on board to do stuff.
  Monday and Tuesday, I drove down to N.J. to pick up the trailer. The hauler we hired to bring her up to Seekonk, advised against using her old trailer, because of the expense if there was any problems. I wasn't about to pay someone to haul the trailer, so I was a truck drivin man for a few days. The trailer is 32 feet long, so it was a long day but no problems. It's off to one side in the yard.
  More rotten plywood has been coming out from below, along with bits of old wire and debris. Today was a mixed bag of the good and the bad. The good was finding out one of the transducers works with the Standard ds 45. Now I can get rid of the other two transducers! The bad news was two fold. First I found some serious rust on the bottom of the heat exchanger and nearby fuel pump. Maybe just cleaning up and painting will be enough but I might need some new parts. Then I removed the bunk fronts on the aft two settees and found lots of wet wood at their bases and in the cleats etc. Looks like I'll be pulling up the sole and be dealing with new sole supports and repairs to the structural bulkheads in the middle of the cabin. This is important because of the support the bilge boards need. Oh well, It'll be a whole lot sweeter with new wood down there.
  Spent the better part of yesterday, cruising around to marine consignment shops with my buddy Wayne. I'm looking for a 1 1/4 i.d. tiller head fitting in bronze, to replace the awful steel fabrication, that was on there. No luck but Maybe I'll get lucky. A new one costs upwards of 300 bucks! I was also looking for dodger frames, finding a couple of possibilities.
  Looks like it might be difficult to get all the things done, to be able to go sailing next summer. We'll be lucky to day sail a few times! Of course I under estimated the scope of the project. Every thing has to be looked at and dealt with. At least the basic hull and deck structure are ok. I can live with cosmetic imperfections for awhile but the thru hulls, the steering, the bilge boards, the pumps, basic electrical system, deck and house leaks, misc. small holes, all have to be dealt with, not to mention the engine and the rig. Plenty to do and limited time and money. Same as it ever was. Aren't boats fun.
  Here's a few pictures.

 evil rust 

inboard side of port bilge board trunk with repair and rotten plywood for the bunk face to screw to.

starboard side

very wet at the edge of the sole.

No comments:

Post a Comment